Thursday, February 26, 2009

Beauty is in the Sky of the Beholder

Today I chose to share with you my favorite picture that I have ever captured. I took this picture on the walk to the subway to work one morning last year. I love the variety of colors in the sky and how all the colors just work in harmony together so naturally. The way the light reflects off the flowing river or even how a city of the size of New York City can be silhouetted against the power of the sun. There is so much going on that we take for granted every day that it just eclipses the city. Which is just the complete opposite of the truth since it doesn't take many hours here to come to the conclusion that the world revolves around NYC (WRONG!)

While all those are good reasons to love this picture it has much deeper meaning to me. Allow me to share...

Even though Hoboken is now where to be seen in the picture, every time I look at this shot it helps me recall the reasons that I enjoy living in Hoboken. A lot of people I work with in the city like to rag on Hoboken, mostly because it's in New Jersey and they believe its as terrible as the rest of the state. But that's far from the truth (except the corrupt government, they would tax the homeless if they could find a way). The only ones I tolerate are the people that actually live in Manhattan, but they don't get the pleasure of seeing the sunrise over the city, having an apartment that you don't feel like your living in a shoe box, or my favorite part the ability to escape! Brooklyn may be nice because they get to see the sunset on the city but I guarantee the majority of them are too busy still at work to take notice. And then the totally unacceptable is the people from Long Island, which is pretty much just New Jersey with GED.

The other pleasure I get from this picture is that I like to think that this is the sun rising or a new beginning to a new point in my life. I guess that means I'll have to retire in on the West Coast, so I can take a picture of the sun setting on my life. On second thought I'll just be dead or too busy watching Matlock to need that picture in my life.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE that picture and love Hoboken... I can totally understand why you live there :) Cheers to the new horizon in the life of Lenz.

    [Also, amused to see where the 'old people show' reference ended up]

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i have to comment, totally love the pic (weren't we just commenting on how awesome that pic was?? guess we inspired something, lol) but then you go on to say you only like people who live in the city?? not cool, nicky, not cool (congrats and yay for having a blog though)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica with a C, thanks for commenting. I guess it's a tad confusing but I met for it to be that I only tolerate (from an argument prospective) to a point people from Manhattan who rag on Hoboken.Not I only get along with people from the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn fine photography sir, will be looking for more

    ReplyDelete